kateriker

kateriker

Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy - Christopher Paul Curtis

This story is about a young orphan who is on a mission to find his father. His mother has recently passed away and he does not particularly like the foster homes in which he is place. He chooses to travel until he can get closer to finding where his father might be. This story is placed around the time of Jazz. I feel as though this will give students a different outlook on history and time frames, it is a great opening into history of this era. I would use this book in a 5th-6th grade classroom. It might be too advanced for any younger of a classroom. Not only will this book be a good resource for the history of Jazz, it also might show children another insight on how other student's home lives might be. It could be used to be a great lesson on how some students are not as well off as their peers. It could also be used to explain the importance of family. Many times families are taken for granted because we do not know what it is like to not have one. This could lead into the topic of thankfulness of what we are blessed with. Overall, it might just teach students how to be more sympathetic of their classmates.